Friday, May 3, 2013

MOM 5K walk/run benefitting the Howell Family in 1 day!

Please remember that you can continue to donate for the Howell family through the month of May online or by check to the "Aaron R Moeller Memorial Foundation" (e-mail me if you need the address).

Race number 3, the Mom 5K Run/Walk for Mental Health Awareness & Suicide Prevention, is almost here! Tomorrow morning will be the first race benefiting a family, Mark Howell (diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma) and his young family, in need of financial support due the medical bills and extra costs that tag along with a cancer diagnosis.
June 2, 2012 - 24 hours post-surgery. He was such a fighter.

There are so many things that cancer effects and changes that you can't even get your mind to consider because all you can think is "is this really happening?" Finances is one of those things. Most people expect the typical expenses: surgery, chemotherapy, radiation. However, many people, including us, are blindsided by all the other stuff: follow up scans, blood draws, trips to the ER or cancer center for re-hydration due to vomiting or lack of appetite, food while at the hospital, parking costs, travel costs, child care, medication to counteract the side effects of other medications and the list goes on. Through your generous donations, you are helping this family focus on what is important, each other, rather than on how they are going to pay for their bills. Thank you for your kindness!

Please remember you can help in ways other than financial: Spread the word! Run the race in Royal Oak, MI! Pray: continue to pray for this young family, pray for peace, trust, and comfort from God as Mark has a follow up CT scan on Monday, 5/6 and results on Wednesday, 5/8, pray for the runners in the race tomorrow, pray for the family and friends of those who are and have been effected by mental illness and suicide.

13 in 2013 donation total: $565! You all rock! 
My coach tallying up donations and getting my race plan together. My half-marathon medal helps him think "fast."

Upcoming Races
May 11: Fifth Third River Bank Run (10K) in Grand Rapids, MI. I will be running in support of Bethany Christian Services

June 8: Kona Run (10K) in Northville, MI. I am honored to run on behalf of "Super Sam" Cooper (3 yo diagnosed with a brain tumor) and his family
June 15: Detroit Rhythm Run (5K) in Detroit, MI. I am honored to run on behalf of Chad Rutherford (diagnosed with colon cancer) and his young family
June 29: Caledonia Kilt Klassic (5K) in Caledonia, MI. I will be running in support of Helen DeVos Children's Hospital

July 4: Volkslaufe (10K) in Frankenmuth, MI. I am honored to run on behalf of Amy Sain (diagnosed with a soft tissue sarcoma in her brain) and the Sarcoma Foundation of America
July 13: 3rd Annual Pittsburgh Cure Sarcoma 5K Walk/Run (5K) in Pittsburgh, PA (North Park). I, along with the other members of The Great Lakers team, will be running in memory of Aaron Moeller (nerve sheath sarcoma) and Laura Fellows Campbell (liposarcoma) to raise funds for the Sarcoma Foundation of America
July 20: Gopher the Gold (5K) in Shelby Township, MI. I am honored to run on behalf of Alyssa Wright (diagnosed with cervical cancer) and her young family

August 7: Red Carpet Run (5K) in West Bloomfield, MI. I will be running in support of the Hillman Cancer Center

September 8: Montour Trail half-marathon (13.1 mi) in Pittsburgh, PA (Montour Trail). I will be running in support of The Gideons International 

October 13: Step UP for Down Syndrome Walk in Grand Rapids, MI. I will be walking in honor of Ellie Helmus and the Down Syndrome Association of West Michigan

November 2: Give Kids the World 5K Gingerbread Run (5K) in Kissimmee, FL. I will be running in support of Give Kids the World

Completed Races
Run with the Cops, not from Them - 24:32   Donation Total on 4/20 - $390
Passion for Life - 26:27 

No comments:

Post a Comment