Today I write about the longest race on my race schedule. I ran it last year because Aaron encouraged me to do more than I thought I could. This year he wasn't there to give me a high five or hold Ben or cheer me through the finish line. He wasn't there to call me crazy for running the distance we drove to church. However, he was there last year, though pain and exhaustion. His fight with cancer reminds me that through God we are all capable of much more than we think.
| Montour Trail half-marathon |
13.1 miles! That is just under the total distance of my first 4 races combined! There is only a walk and one more run left. Total race distance so far: 59.6 miles given for families and organizations. Wow!
| The warm up is very important, Mamma. Let's get you warmed up by snuggling! |
Of course my #1 fan and coach was there to cheer me through the race. I was blessed that so many friends from our church in Pittsburgh also planned to run. It was so encouraging to be surrounded by these women before what I thought might be an emotionally difficult race.
| This was the first half-marathon for four of the women from our church! I am so proud of all of you! |
| Prayer before the race. Ben even joined in with us. So blessed by these friends! |
| Love this family! |
Ben was excited for the juice box...er...I mean to see Grace and watch the race.
| Ben and Grace fueling up for the race. It's a hard job to be a spectator! |
Our cheer team hung out around mile 4 (going out) and mile 9 (coming back). There were ready with chairs, snacks, and signs. This is the one spot I was really nervous to go through. This is the exact same place they set up last time and I knew Aaron was not going to be there. However, the Lord gave me strength physically and emotionally and I was able to joyfully think about seeing him last year and seeing my boy and friends this year. God's ability to sustain and heal amazes me constantly!
| Cheering is serious. |
| "13.1 Only half crazy!" "Run like the wind!" |
Surprisingly, my half-marathon was my best race yet! I felt really strong the whole way through and actually enjoyed the race! My goal time was under 2 hours since I finished in 2:07:32 last year. I cut off 11 minutes from my time and finished in 1 hour 56 minutes and 32 seconds (8:53 min/mile pace)!!!! It was an emotional finish for me, full of joy and relief! That night, some of us went out for frozen yogurt to celebrate! We got to the yogurt place to receive homemade medals made by one of the runners daughters. We wore them with pride!
![]() |
| Race medals! |
I want to sincerely thank each and every one of you who have prayed over the 13 in 2013 race initiative, donated, ran/walked, and shared my story and the stories of these families. 13 in 2013 began as a way to give structure to my chaotic new life and allow an outlet for healing. God has used you to turn it into something truly amazing, impacting lives of those who are hurting and in need. As of today, the total amount raised through this initiative is $10,335! I am still stunned as I let that number sink in. $1,000 would have surpassed my expectations, but more than $10,000 completely knocks me over. That is money to help with medical bills, research funding, groceries, a family adopt a child, spread the gospel, and so many other blessings. Thank you!
| Mamma, can you believe this!? |
Coming up:
October 13: Step UP for Down Syndrome walk in Grand Rapids, MI. I will be walking in honor of Ellie Helmus.
November 2: Give Kids the World 5K Gingerbread Run in Kissimmee, FL. I will be fundraising for Give Kids the World.
Completed Races:
Montour Trail Half-Marathon (13.1 mi) - 1:56:32 Donation total - $10,335
Red Carpet Run (5K) - 25:05
Gopher the Gold (10K) - 55:12
Pittsburgh Cure Sarcoma Walk/Run (5K) - 25:15
Volkslaufe (10K) - 55:21
Caledonia Kilt Klassic (5K) - 24:20
RHGYC Trail Run (5K) - 24:28
Kona Run (10K) - 51:22
Fifth Third River Bank Run (10K) - 51:37
MOM 5K Walk/Run (5K) - 24:14
Run with the Cops, not from them (5K) - 24:32
Passion for Life (5K) - 26:27

No comments:
Post a Comment