Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Aaron went to be with the King

Dear Family and Friends,

First of all, thank you for your devotion in lifting our family before the throne of grace these past 2+ year, especially in the last month.
It is with joy for Aaron, yet sorrow for us left behind, that I tell you that Aaron went to be with the Prince of Peace at 5:00 am this morning at home. I woke up at 4:44 am to give him some medicine and sit with him for a while. As soon as I held his hand and said, "Hi Honey," he breathing slowed and his face relaxed. The Lord allowed him to wait until I was there with him and for this I will forever be grateful. I reminded him of the promises of God, of which he already knew, and assured him that there was nothing left but pain here for him and stop looking back at us and go with Jesus. Only 15 minutes later, without any tension, struggle, or look of fear, he took his final breath; he was finally able to relax, finally without pain. His passing was peaceful as I held his hand and ran my fingers through his hair. He knew that he would soon see his Savior face to face. A couple days ago, he had cried out in the middle of the night in frustration, "I just want to be with the King! I just want to be with the King!" Now he is! As I closed my eyes after saying good-bye to my darling husband of 5 1/2 years and the father of my beautiful son, I pictures God shining His face upon Aaron, saying, "Well done, My good and faithful servant. Come and rest." Aaron is free from pain, bowel obstructions, medications, kidney disease, cancer, and sin. He has been made perfect in his Savior's blood and now sings praises, dances, and delights in the glory of the Lord, free from pain, free from cancer.
Benjamin has been and is doing well and has been playfully and wonderfully distracted by grandparents. For him, this life of hospital admissions, doctor appointments, and illness has been the norm. He was able to say good-bye to Daddy and tell him he loved him before Aaron was taken from our home. It is difficult to answer Ben when he asks for Daddy or to show something to Daddy.
For me, today has been extremely, unspeakably difficult. Each person who walked in to the room brought on a wave of tears. After Aaron was taken, I sat down stairs watching Benjamin play thinking, "I should go wake Aaron...oh yeah." I anticipate those thoughts will be creeping in to my mind often in the following weeks and months. 
There will be a visitation and funeral in Pittsburgh, PA as well as Grand Rapids, MI. The visitation in Pittsburgh will be on Friday (1/11) from 5-8 at Slater Funeral Home in Greentree as well as from 10-11 on Saturday (1/12) morning at Providence Presbyterian Church. The funeral service will be at 11 am followed by a luncheon. The visitation in Grand Rapids will be on Tuesday (1/15) from 5-8 at Zaagman Memorial Chapel as well as from 10-11 on Wednesday (1/16) morning at 7th Reformed Church. The funeral service will be at 11 am followed by a luncheon and then a grave side service at Woodlawn Cemetery
Please continue to be in prayer for me, Benjamin, and our families and friends. The following week is going to be exhausting physically and emotionally as we celebrate Aaron's life and grieve his loss. I ask that you pray for Benjamin and I while we adjust to living with my parents for a few months. Continue to pray that God will continue to give us grace and strength through the coming days, weeks, and months. I also ask that you pray for those who will be traveling to attend the services. 
I ask that you praise the Lord for His sweet mercy to Aaron. Aaron was a great witness and testimony to God. Praise Him with me that Aaron was able to pass from earth to Heaven at home and not in a hospital. Praise the Lord that Aaron is now dancing, without concern for a pain crisis or pulling on his PICC line, and singing, and praising God. 
Psalm 73:26 - My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 
John 16:33 - These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” 
Job 19:25-26 -For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth; And after my skin is destroyed, this I know That in my flesh I shall see God.
God never let go of Aaron. When people would say, "I wish I could take this from you," or "I wish you didn't have to go through this," Aaron's reply was, "But God gave this to me to endure as a witness and He will give me what I need to endure."
May God be given the glory and may He strengthen and comfort those of us who miss Aaron desperately.
Love,
Jenny

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenny. Our hearts are with you and your entire family. Prayers have been (and will continue to) go up for all of you. We love you so much, and we admire your strength and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just 5/10 min down Burton from Zaagman's if you need anything. Will continue praying

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thanks for posting. And may God ever be your refuge and strength (Ps.49)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, it's so hard to find words of comfort for you and your family. You inspire everyone you touch, and your eloquent post was so moving. Thank you for sharing yourself and your journey with all of us, and know that we are all supporting you and Ben in any way needed. Shannon and I send you our most heartfelt wishes. We love you! Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers are with you and your family. Aaron was a wonderful person with a huge heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jenny,
    I'm saddened by the passing of your beloved Aaron, but he is with the father and at peace. No more pain and he is in his reward of life eternal as promised by Jesus.
    I wish you and Ben peaceful days and may the love of Jesus surround you and bind you up.
    Best wishes,
    Jeff Bernstein
    PCS volunteer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny,
    From afar this news breaks my heart and I feel such sadness at the thought of Aaron passing. I smile thinking of Ben and the joy he brought to Aaron's face and of you with the most amazing strength of any woman I know. When times get tough this week remember how many lives Aaron has touched in such a short period of time and know that I consider myself very lucky to have known him. I will continue to think of you and Ben often.
    Peace be with you.
    Laura Szynskie

    ReplyDelete