Wednesday, May 8, 2013

MOM 5K walk/run: Post Run

MOM 5K walk/run
The Mind Over Matter (MOM) 5K walk/run was on Saturday. It was an emotional race as many family and friends gathered to remember their loved ones they lost to suicide and to raise awareness regarding mental health issues and suicide prevention.
Memorial photo board of lost loved ones
I was glad to finally have some warm running weather! Talk about a drastic weather change! Within 2 weeks my gear downsized from running tights, 2 long-sleeved running shirt, my "13 in 2013" shirt, ear coverings, gloves, and scarf to just my race shirt and a running skirt. I was a happy lady!
Spring is finally here! No gloves needed today!
Even though the race itself was to raise awareness and funds to mental illness awareness and suicide prevention, which is a great cause, I ran in honor of the Howell family. I was so excited when a beautiful young mom tapped me on the shoulder and hugged me when I was lined up at the start line. Christina Howell! It got me ready to run knowing they were able to make it for the race.
Mark, Gabriel, and Christina Howell made it cheer me on!
This young family is an inspiration! Only 5 1/2 months after major abdominal surgery, Mark was holding and playing with Gabriel while Christina calmly told me that they were putting the follow up scan results completely in God's hands. Amen!

This race was full of familiar faces and lots of support!
Aunt Amy was there support her principal who lost is son only a few months ago.
My little guy was there to yell "Great job" as runners crossed the finish line. He brought his game face on Saturday!
Kristin (a friend who lost her husband to suicide), my mom, and me before the race
The race course was through some of the beautiful Royal Oak neighborhoods.
Awaiting the start
What is with my big smile you ask? After spending the first 2 miles feeling like I was dragging, I realized I may actually be able to match my previous race time. The last mile was tough as well but the last half mile was spent asking myself, "Where on earth is this finish line already!?!?!?!" As I came down the stretch and saw the time clock, I knew I had a chance to actually beat my time, which I did! Yup! Another personal record of 24:14 and I placed first in my age group (25-29 year old females) again! I better be careful because I certainly could get used to this!
Another personal record!
As Mamma recovered from busting it for 3.1 miles by stuffing her face with homemade cookie bars (probably not the best post-race refuel ever), Ben had a great time playing on the playground!
Check out this giant stick!
Much to my displeasure, Ben's new favorite phrase is, "I like dirt." It is a true statement.
Sand + Stick = Happy Ben
Ben did so good at the race! He hung out with Bupa, Nana, and the Howell family and plotted how to snatch toys away from baby Gabriel without getting in to trouble. He is becoming such a little boy rather than a baby.
I'm not so sure about this thing...
Aaron would be so pleased to see that his little boy is enjoying little boy things, like dirt, sand, sticks, train tracks, mud, and more dirt. Most times Mamma wants to look the other way or direct him to a cleaner play activity, but Daddy would have been right there with him getting dirty and probably whispering, "Let's get really messy and go hug Mamma." Aaron always did like my what were you thinking!?!?! face a little too much.

There may have been a minor meltdown when Ben realized he would have to leave the tracks to get to the car.
Thank you to all those who have prayed for the Howells as well as donated. Mark got his scan results today and found out that while there are still some lymphnodes in his abdomen that are enlarged, it is not clear if they are due to cancer or the treatment. He'll have a follow up scan in 6 weeks in hope of clarifying these results. Please continue to keep them in your prayers. Also, you can continue to donate online or by check for the Howell family through the month of May!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your personal best time, Jenny! You continue to inspire us in every way. We feel like total slugs compared to you! - Aunt Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aunt Carrie! It was surprise to me, again, since I felt like a slug during the race. :-)

      Delete