Two years ago was the birth of "13 in 2013." It was my crazy idea to turn my grieving into healing, my stress reliever into a blessing producer. I knew God was calling me to reach out to others and do it through running but I had NO idea how He would take my little idea and turn it into something truly amazing! When I would contact a family I made sure they understood that I had no idea how successful fundraising would be. In fact, I told them it was likely I would raise $20, from my mom...because she would feel bad that my plan was not what I imagined. God made sure it wasn't what I imagine. It far surpassed what I would have dreamed it to be and donations for every race were at least $100 and the total of the series was $13,000!!!
So, what did I learn over 10 months and 13 races? Well, let's review:
1. To finish a race is a a wonderful feeling. To finish a race knowing that you were running for someone other than yourself is an inexpressibly humbling feeling.
2. There are people who are crazy enough to not only pray and donate, but to actually join in the races!
3. I am that person who will sign up for a race strictly because the name is hilarious only to be wonderfully surprised that the race money is going to an amazing cause!
4. I didn't realize that I would be running races for those other than the
families I had contacted.
 |
| This multiple Ironman finisher supported me through running tips while I gave her courage to run this race in memory of her husband. |
5. Sometimes it's really fun to start at the back of the pack and pretend you are a cheetah attacking prey...right?
 |
| So glad this guy showed up to run with me! |
6. It is always the family of honor who is the inspiration and keeps me going. If a 3 year old can be brave through surgery, chemo, and lots of PT/OT, then I can be strong through a race.
7. I'm just a little competitive.
 |
| Not the most attractive race finish photo ever... |
8. God will provide surprise blessings and support along the way.
 |
| These lovely ladies were in town for a wedding and pre-partied with me at my race! |
9. Life is full of moments that make your heart swell with sorrow, joy, grief, and pride all at the same time.
10. A race is never just a race. It intertwines lives and leads to friendships.
 |
| People, this woman is a 3 time cancer survivor, mom, and wife! She is amazing! |
11. I'm that crazy running mom.
12. Sometimes you just have to stop taking yourself so seriously.
13. I was teaching my son even when I didn't realize it.
Ben saw everything. He saw the training days, the race days, the race recovery, the sore muscles, the tears. He saw the joy, the gratitude, the compassion, the healing. There were so many times I felt guilty about dragging him to another race instead of playing in the yard, dropping him off with Nana and Buppa so he wouldn't have to be in the stroller for 12 miles. Yet, he saw everything.
It is with great joy that I announce that I will be doing another race series thanks to my son. "Mommy, why aren't you running races anymore? We need to be running for families to help them." This is what he saw. This is what he learned. I am so grateful!!
You are truly an encouragement to my walk with Christ. Thank you for your ministry to me and my family.
ReplyDelete