Monday, April 22, 2013

Run with the Cops, not from Them: Post Race

Run with the Cops, not from Them

Run with the Cops, not from Them race was on Saturday. It was freezing...literally! I think the temperature finally got up to 32 degrees at start time and that is not even thinking about the wind whipping around Belle Isle...which is an actual island in the Detroit river. Yeah, it was cold!
Maybe not quite that cold, but almost.

It was absolutely incredible to see the support for those effected by the Boston Marathon bombings. Many runners and spectators were in Boston gear or had clothing specifically made after the event. One women who finished the 10K event ran across the finish line holding hands with 15 others in Boston Marathon blue and yellow. This woman had finished the marathon last Monday and was now courageously crossing another finish line less than a week later. It was inspiring!
Runners United for Boston free running bib!
So many runners were running "for Boston"
The event coordinators put together a sign for our runners to sign to send to the city

The Detroit Police Department not only organized the race but they were present. They had teams representing different branches of the department. It was pretty cool.
Underwater recovery team
Armored vehicle...not sure who the people are popping out of the top...
DPD Bomb Squad with their gear
DPD "Herdold Heldoter" (translation: Herold the Helicopter) as Ben would call it
There was even a mounted police officer, which provided...smelly obstacles...on the way to the start line
 
My goal at the race, given the cold, wind, and cold, was to just finish. I had mostly been training on a treadmill (because I am a temperature wimp) so I was sure the wind was going to defeat me by mile 1 (3.1 miles is the length of the race).
Bundled up and ready to run so I could get back to my winter coat at the finish line!

I love runners! We run...from nothing...and call it fun and relaxing. Not only that, but some of us enjoy taking it to the next level of amazing. See exhibits below:
Exhibit A - Rock on my patriot friend!
Exhibit B - Note the bundled up lady at the top of the blog and compare.
Exhibit C - The race is organized by police...get it!? Knee slapper!

I actually had two goals for my race: 1. to finish and 2. try to remember not to look like I may collapse at any moment as I came down the homestretch so I could post a picture of me actually running the race. If you look really close, there is a half-frozen, exhausted attempt at a smile, which is way better than the last race. Trust me!
Almost done!

What a surprise as I crossed the finish line to complete another personal record! Yup, despite the cold, wind, and cold, I beat my time from last month by almost 2 minutes, which means I shaved nearly 40 seconds off each mile!!! I finished with a time of 24 minutes, 32 seconds (7:55 min/mile) and once again, I badly wished Aaron was here so I could hear him tell me how crazy I was and see that proud smile!
"It only took running from the cops to get your pr." - Dad

My time placed me first (WHAT!?!?) in my age group (20-29 year old females) by almost 4 minutes!
So crazy!
I got a medal for my first place finish!


Not only was the run full of personal accomplishments for myself and other runners, but the amount donated to the For a Day Foundation in memory of Aaron blew me away again! Thank you for all those who donated, spread the word, and prayed!
Mamma has a good coach!

Coming up on May 5: Mom 5K Run/Walk for Mental Health Awareness & Suicide Prevention (5K) in Royal Oak, MI to raise money for Mark Howell (diagnosed with a rare pancreatic tumor) and his young family! Excited to report that we already have some donations in for this family!!!

5 comments:

  1. I thank God for your testimony Jenny. You shine brightly for King Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitch, thank you for your encouragement. It has been our prayer that God is glorified and the light and love of Christ be reflected in our thoughts, words, and deeds! Praise God for His strength and joy!

      Delete