Monday, April 1, 2013

Traveling fools...

In the past 3 1/2 months, I have lived in or visited 4 different states: Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona, and Mississippi!

Arizona was my solo trip.

Um, can I tell you that the last time I spent a night away from Benjamin for non-hospital related reasons was October 21, 2011!?!?! It was also the very first time I had ever rented a car and was the first time in 5 1/2 years that I flew by myself! Needless to say, when I obtained my fabulous car, navigated around Phoenix, and made it home again, I was pretty proud of my accomplishments!
I may have had a bit too much fun zipping around in my Infinity!
I had so much fun visiting with college friends, visiting my grandparents, and celebrating the marriage of 2 fabulous people! The weather was gorgeous and the sunshine was necessary!
Catching up and checking out the Desert Botanical Garden
I love my college roomies! The 4th one was the bride!
Bride and groom
What a joy to visit with my grandma and grandpa!
Mississippi was the trip that I was most nervous about. Yes, I had just accomplished flying without getting lost in the airport. Yes, I had just seamlessly rented my car. Yes, I was beyond excited to meet Baby Kaylee (and see Beau and Christina, too). That being said, I was not looking forward to navigating all of this with a 2 year old who might really like flying in a big "ah-pain" or shriek in terror the entire time.
Checking out our airplane!
Fortunately, he only required "adjustment periods" as things changed. Personality-wise, he is definitely my son. We flew on 3 different airplanes to get to Mississippi with one layover being only 20 minutes! I was so happy that Ben did so well! Aaron had found this book, Amazing Airplanes, as a Christmas gift for Ben. We read this book nearly 20 times on the flights. It helped to calm him down when he got nervous and distract him when he got bored.
My first plane ride with my own seat! Last time I napped in the MOBY wrap.
"S'ok Ben Bunny. Read you." It helped Ben Bunny when I read to him on our second flight
Pulling my weight and checking out the "tractors" and "ah-pains"

Before we even reached our cruising altitude on the third and final flight
Despite having a baby on 2 1/2 weeks prior to us arriving, Christina was happy to show us around Mississippi or "Mister Sippi" as Ben called it. We were going to check out the St. Patrick's day parade but after not being able to find parking 4 hours prior to the parade, we figured the farmers market was a better idea with small children in tow.
So much better than the parade!
Side note: you know you had been raising your child in the city when he jumps with joy and exclaims "grass time!" every time he so much as walks on grass.
"Grass time!" with Boba
Throughout Christina's pregnancy, Aaron and I rejoiced over God's mercy in giving our grieving, overwhelmed little family so much joy in the expected arrival of Kaylee. We marveled at His perfect timing of new life as we continued to be reminded of our mortality. When Beau and Christina visited Aaron in the hospital at the end of December, Aaron was able to feel Kaylee kick his hand. What a precious moment for a brother and sister to share; a precious moment for an uncle.
Overjoyed to celebrate with family!
As I watched Kaylee's baptism with her parents professing to raise her in a Christian home and teach her God's truths, such joy filled my heart! What a wonderful celebration! 
The happy family!
Ben thoroughly enjoyed being a big cousin! As long as Mamma wasn't holding Kaylee, everything was good. Yup, I have a Mamma's boy on my hands!
Cousins!
Now, Kaylee, this is the tricky part of the song. Your toes are down here...
Well, after some baby snuggle time, one 2 year molar break through, and lots of good food later, we were headed back to the airport to head home. You know it is time to go home when your toddler begins to cry for his Thomas sheets...
I've got Ben Bunny, my water, and my blanket. I'm ready to fly!
We only had 2 flights on the way home and our layover was long enough to get lunch with plenty of time to run around after. Ben had a great time watching 2 older boys run around and decided to follow their lead.
I'm going to poop right as we get on the plane. It will be great fun to watch Mamma try to change me in that tiny plane bathroom!
TACKLE!!
I am so glad to have been able to visit with friends and family, not to mention the warm sunshine that we are still lacking in Michigan. However, I think we'll take a little break from the long distance traveling for a couple months.
I think the high altitude has gone to her head...

No comments:

Post a Comment