Friday, July 19, 2013

Gopher the Gold benefiting the Wright Family in 1 day!!

Tomorrow marks my 10th race! Double digits!!! Because I am corny, I am also really excited that I unknowingly registered for a 10K race...for my 10th race! Yes!
Yeah, I know my mamma is dorky.

I am running the Gopher the Gold in honor of Alyssa Wright. Meeting her was one of those moments that left me wondering, "Ok God. How are You going to weave us together?" I had only been living in Michigan for a few weeks. A high school acquaintance (now friend!) knew what had happened to bring us back to the great lakes state and invited me to her jewelry party in hopes of helping me feel more settled and make some friends. I met Alyssa only minutes after walking through the door.
Alyssa, Jeff, and friends celebrated her completion of chemotherapy with a wig party!

As she was talking with friends I could tell she was stressed and thankful, as I was, for a brief escape from the pressures that surrounded her at home. Little did I know that our escape was from the same monster. I discovered that her long, beautiful brunette hair was a wig and she was a young wife and mother with cancer wondering how they were going to pay for her life-saving treatments.
Kase kissing his mommy's newly shaved head.

There is was again. I thought I was coming to escape with jewelry but cancer had found me. I realized that there would be no escaping, no running from the "Big C" as Aaron used to call it. No, there would be no attempt to avoid cancer. Instead, I decided I would rather stand as Aaron did during every CT scan appointment, on his first night home with hospice, on that Thursday when he was told he had 2-3 more weeks left, as he prepared himself, and me, spiritually and emotionally for a surgery that may take his life, as he looked at me with such love during his final 10 minutes. I want to stand in faith and trust in the Creator and His plan. I want to stand with courage, with the ability to stare it in the face so it knows it can take nothing from me; it cannot defeat me. I decided in that moment that I would stand with those who also know cancer intimately, as an unwelcome member in their home, as their "new norm."
Kase - that smile!

How can you help the Wright family?
1. Donate: By check - Please send a check made to the "Aaron R. Moeller Memorial Fund" and indicate the Wright family in the notes section. If you need my mailing address, please send me an e-mail or leave a comment with your e-mail address so I may reply privately. All donations are tax deductible! I will be collecting donations for the Wright family through the month of July even after "their race" is complete.

2. Run - Come check out Shelby Township with us! Alyssa and her family will be walking the 5K!! You can register HERE. Be sure to let me know so I can look for you.

3. Spread the word - Please tell your friends and family by sharing the link to this post on your Facebook or in an e-mail...

4. Pray:
* Praise for the good test results indicating that Alyssa is tumor free!!!!!!!!
* Prayer as she is followed closely that all future scans would also be tumor free and she would never hear the words "you have cancer" again.
* Praise for the support of friends and family as the Alyssa and her family have worked to develop a new normal.
* Prayer for Jeff as he continues to provide for and lead his family
* Prayer for Kase that he would continue to be full of joy and tenderness
* Praise the Alyssa, Jeff, and Kase will be walking tomorrow!
* Please pray for the runners and the fundraising of the race and this race series.

No comments:

Post a Comment