Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Volkslaufe in honor of Amy Sain in 1 day!

I am beginning to look forward to the Volkslaufe (10K), which is good because it is tomorrow! Rumor has it that we will be running through corn fields, be cheered on by excited neighbors, and listen to some good music along the course! Hopefully, I'll be able to focus on all the fun rather than the hills I have heard so much about!

The 4th and 5th of July will likely be emotional days for me as 2 years ago Aaron was prepping for surgery on the 4th (poor guy!) and had his first surgery on the July 5, 2011. We sang Leaning on the Everlasting Arms at 4:30 am before driving in to the hospital, unsure if he would be paralyzed, alive, or cancer-free when the surgery was over.
As I found out Aaron made it through the successful surgery without paralysis, Ben strolled through the door! What a celebration we had with friends and family in the waiting room!!!


My friend, Amy Sain, has had her share of terrifying drives in to the hospital unsure of the outcome of surgery and CT scans and MRIs. It is so strange that a relatively quick scan has the power to completely change your life. Like Aaron, Amy was diagnosed with pediatric cancer (Hodgkin's Lymphoma) and has had multiple recurrence over the past 4 years. I am honored to be running for such a joy-filled, positive young woman who has been an example and encouragement to me! The money raised in honor of Amy throughout the month of July will go to the Remi Savioz Glut1 Foundation ("RSG1") which strives to provide support and guidance to those on the ketogenic diet due to cancer, epilepsy, or metabolic disorders. 
Amy with her daughter, Riley, and son, Ryan

How can you help Amy and the Remi Savioz Glut1 Foundation ("RSG1")?
1. Donate: There are 2 different ways to donate to the Remi Savioz Glut1 Foundation ("RSG1"), the foundation Amy has asked all funds raised in her honor be directed. 1. Online - To donate, please go HERE and then send me an e-mail letting me know you have done so and the amount so that I may keep track of our total donations. 2. By Check - You may also send a check made to the "Aaron R. Moeller Memorial Fund" and indicate "Amy Sain" or "RSG1" in the notes section.  I will be taking donations for Amy and the RSG1 Foundation through the month of July even after "her race" is completed!

2. Run: Come check out Frankenmuth with me! You can register online. Be sure to let me know so I can look for you!

3. Spread the word: Please tell your friends and family by sharing the link to this post on your Facebook or in an e-mail, or directing them to the Remi Savioz Glut1 Foundation ("RSG1") website.

4. Pray:
* Pray for Amy as she begins the same treatment regiment that was successful four years ago as well as relief from symptoms of weakness and leg-orientation issues
* Praise for God's strength and love shining through Amy as she gracefully
* Pray for her husband, Jerry, who has walked through these storms with his bride
* Pray for Riley and Ryan as they must be flexible and understanding through surgeries and treatments, pray that they will pour out their love on their mother, pray that her example of courage will sink deeply into their hearts
* Pray for Amy's parents and siblings as they have ridden this rollercoaster with her. I learned from Aaron's parents that it does not matter how old your child is, they are still your baby and you still ache for their suffering wishing to make it all better
* Please also pray for the runners of this race, that I would not experience any issues during my recovery, and the fundraising of this race initiative


Upcoming Races
July 13: 3rd Annual Pittsburgh Cure Sarcoma 5K Walk/Run (5K) in Pittsburgh, PA (North Park). I, along with the other members of The Great Lakers team, will be running in memory of Aaron Moeller (nerve sheath sarcoma) and Laura Fellows Campbell (liposarcoma) to raise funds for the Sarcoma Foundation of America
July 20: Gopher the Gold (5K) in Shelby Township, MI. I am honored to run on behalf of Alyssa Wright (diagnosed with cervical cancer) and her young family

August 7: Red Carpet Run (5K) in West Bloomfield, MI. I will be running in support of the Hillman Cancer Center

September 8: Montour Trail half-marathon (13.1 mi) in Pittsburgh, PA (Montour Trail). I will be running in support of The Gideons International 

October 13: Step UP for Down Syndrome Walk in Grand Rapids, MI. I will be walking in honor of Ellie Helmus and the Down Syndrome Association of West Michigan

November 2: Give Kids the World 5K Gingerbread Run (5K) in Kissimmee, FL. I will be running in support of Give Kids the World

Completed Races
Caledonia Kilt Klassic (5K) - 24:20     Donation Total on 6/8/13 - $2,520 
RHGYC Charity Run/Walk (5K) - 24:28
Kona Run (10K) - 51:22
Fifth Third River Bank Run (10K) - 51:37 
MOM 5K walk/run (5K) - 24:14
Run with the Cops, not from Them (5K) - 24:32 
Passion for Life (5K) - 26:27

No comments:

Post a Comment