A new friend and I were trying to figure out where to go for dinner. This would be the first time spending time together outside of our widow support group. This courageous woman joined my group soon after the sudden loss of her husband. She was coming up on her 30th birthday with an infant son at home.
"Do you like sushi?"
It seems like a simple question and yet it was another step in learning who I am after loss. What do I like? What am I willing to try? How have I changed?
"I don't know. Let's do it! Why not?" was my reply. Turns out I love sushi with tofu, avocado, tons of veggies wrapped in rice paper with the amazing cream cheese sauce! Who knew!
There have been so many "why not?" moments since Aaron died. So many moments of surprise as I find myself listening to jazz and read that book I wasn't sure I would like and am given the grace I need daily to take small steps of courage.
July 9, 2014 marked 18 months since Aaron died and Ben and I began our life after loss; learning what our new normal looks like. It seems appropriate to take time to recognize some of my small and large triumphs; to encourage you to acknowledge your daily triumphs, too.
1. Joined 3 groups without knowing a single person at any of them - Community Bible Study, MOPS, GriefShare - and meeting some of the most amazing women
 |
| My MOPS group threw a surprise birthday party for me! |
2. Rented my first car and found it at the airport
 |
| Hello, free upgrade! Infinity G37! |
3. Ran
13 races for families effected by cancer and organizations striving to link arms with those in crisis
 |
| Pure joy with my boy after my 13th and final race of my series! |
4. Lead a widows' small group 8 months into my own widow walk and continuing to minister to these brave women
5. Share Ben's father with him every day
 |
| Ben loves to look at the photo boards from Aaron's visitations and hear stories about the pictures |
 |
| This is currently Ben favorite picture because Daddy is being silly with him. The love is so obvious! |
6. Went on a date
7. Ran a marathon
 |
| 4 hours and 33 minutes of running! |
8. Went to a Painting with a Twist class solo even after my entire group canceled at the last minute.
 |
| So much fun! Who knew I could paint? |
9. Tried sushi
 |
| I had to take a picture to prove it actually happened! The middle kind was my favorite! |
10. Chose to celebrate, not mourn,
Aaron's Heaven day
11. Went to two weddings within 7 months of Aaron's death
 |
| So blessed that I didn't have to do these weddings alone! |
12. Had family pictures taken of just Ben and me
13. Ran with
Miles 2 Give in honor of our 7th anniversary
 |
| Truly a gift to know these amazing people! |
14. Visited churches alone. I am so grateful for the wonderful people God has placed in my path as I visited!
15. Started my own
Thirty-One business
16. Took Ben to the movie theater for Aaron's first birthday in Heaven
 |
| Isn't he the most handsome boy you've ever seen? He loved eating popcorn at 10:30 in the morning! |
17. Sold Aaron's car and bought my first car
 |
| Good bye, Blue. You served us well. Hello, Shaunner! |
18. Finding the blessings that God places in my life every single day, choosing joy in Him, and moving forward one step at a time!
It's clear your strength is in your joy, and your joy is in the Lord! <3 So much love!
ReplyDeleteAnd... You continue to bless and encourage everyone in your path!
ReplyDelete