Mission: Accomplished! The Give Kids the World
Gingerbread run was the PERFECT race to end my series!
The day before the race, my parents, brother, sister-in-law, niece, son, and I woke up to catch an early flight to sunny Florida. We spent the afternoon and evening touring Give Kids the World. I had a couple things I wanted to find while we were there. First stop was the paver in honor of our wedding guests donated in 2007.
 |
| "A&J Moeller; Kalamazoo, MI; June 23, 2007" |
Second stop was the Castle to find Aaron's star. Unfortunately, the location of the star Christina made in 2006 was never linked to Aaron's visit in 1992 so we weren't able to see it. However, they were kind enough to let Ben and me make a new star for Daddy! It was such a special thing to be able to involve Ben in remembering Aaron.
 |
| Ben decided our star should say, "We love you, Daddy!" |
 |
| Aaron's star is now located in the new Star Tower, the new addition to the Castle |
 |
| This is a replica of the Castle and carousel |
Once I had found our paver and his star and allowed the emotions of the day settle, it was time to get busy having some fun!
 |
| Some sweeties in the giant ice cream bowls outside the ice cream parlor |
 |
| The Wall of Seasons |
 |
| Buppa and Ben at Mayor Clayton's and Ms. Mary's house. |
Ben's favorite place in all of GKTW was the carousel! We were able to ride over and over and over. Ben even passed up ice cream in favor of another couple rides on the carousel. As observed in these pictures, he was not the only one who liked this classic ride!
 |
| He may have ridden nearly every animal they had to offer! |
 |
| Erich really got in to it! |
 |
| Buppa: The cautious adventurer |
 |
| Nana: Thrill-Seeker! |
 |
| Michelle took Grace for a couple of spins |
We passed the start line for the race. Wow! To be walking around GKTW again and see where my final of 13 races would begin was really exciting.
 |
| Erich and I struck the same pose without knowing it! Yup, we're related. |
I was so blessed to be joined by my family to remember and celebrate Aaron. The support, love, and encouragement they provided was something I had not anticipated needing so much, especially the day before and day of the race. Erich decided he wanted to run the race as well, not just watch, and he was not disappointed! We arrived bright and early to pick up our race packets and goof around before getting down to the business of running.
 |
| Sunrise pre-race picture |
 |
| I'm so embarrassing! Statue photo! |
 |
| Photo op with some GKTW celebrities: Mayor Clayton, Ms. Mary, Buttons, and Patches |
 |
| My brother is amazing! He was such a source of joy and excitement! |
And then it happened! The horn blew, the runners started, and the beginning of my final race started! This was not just any race, mind you! This was a race through a village made for children.
As we ran, we met Sponge Bob, ran through a wall of bubbles, and got sprayed by kids with squirt guns. We ran through a winter wonderland (in southern Florida, at that) and life-size Candy Land. And the best part, seeing the smiling faces of the kids and their families as they watched us run.
 |
| As usual, Erich's sub-7 min/mile pace looks like a casual jog! |
 |
| I was so excited that my 13 turned in to 31! Oops! |
I spent the race thinking about the past year, all the people I have met, all the people who have surrounded us with nothing but love, all of those still hurting. I imagined
Aaron as a boy standing outside one of those villas cheering us on. I imagined, with a longing ache in my heart,
my Aaron cheering me on and nearly heard him whisper, "I'm so proud of you!" As the finish line came in to view, I challenged a little boy to race me to the finish. He totally whooped me, as he should! My smile could not have gotten bigger as I crossed the finish line.
And then the reality of what I had just done came washing over me, driving me to the ground in tears of joy, sorrow, longing, and gratefulness. What a gift this year has been. God has run every step of this journey of widowhood with me. Not only has He walked with me, but He has blessed me beyond anything I could have imagined!
 |
| My coach looking SO much like his daddy |
 |
| My joy |
 |
| My greatest supporters - Thank you, Mom and Dad. This would not have been possible without you! |
After running a 5K in high humidity and heat and Erich being the 3rd male to finish, is there any other way to celebrate than dancing!? Erich and I grabbed our post race snacks for ourselves and the kids and got our groove on!
 |
| Nice run! |
 |
| Showing off our moves |
 |
| Oh yeah! We rock! |
 |
| "I am greatly concerned for our parents." "Me too." |
While we were in Kissimmee, we made a trip to the most magical place on earth! I grew up on Disney movies and visited Disney World many times as a child so I was really excited to take Ben and share this memory with our family.
 |
| Magic Kingdom |
 |
| Walking to the park and we spotted our first Mickey! |
 |
| Cinderella's Castle |
 |
| Buppa and Nana with the grandkids |
 |
| Ben on his first ride: Dumbo |
 |
| My mommy and me waiting to go on the Little Mermaid |
 |
| Of course, Ben loved the carousel! |
 |
| Grace is a Minnie kind of girl |
 |
| The guys |
 |
| Family selfie on It's a Small World |
Even the flight back was fun! The kids did such a great job and loved the time together!
The picture below is of a small portion of the ceiling in the Castle at Give Kids the World. Each star represents a child given a week of childhood in this magical place. Friends, your generosity and prayers have allowed me to have the honor of sending
$1,474.80 to help GKTW continue to bless families and add stars! That is incredible! Since starting this race initiative in March,
$11,939.80 has been raised for families effected by cancer and organizations reaching out to help the hurting, lost, and alone. Thank you seems to be too small a sentiment. I am blown away!
 |
| That's a lot of joy and love and memories! |
I continue to cross finish lines on this journey of establishing life after death: first birthday in 8 years without my Aaron, first Thanksgiving, the anniversary of being told his cancer was terminal, the anniversary of our last date, and more to come. Each time, I am amazed, much like I was after each race, how much more I am able to do in God's strength than I ever imagined. I took a bit of break after the 13th race to rest my body and reserve my energy for the emotional race of the holidays. God has been so good and filled my heart with joy and peace. That doesn't mean that pain is absent but He continues to redirect my mind and heart to the blessings He has taken joy in giving.
 |
| Rest, my little coach, we've done well. |
Completed Races:
GKTW Gingerbread Run (5K) - 25:25
Donation total - $11,939.80
Montour Trail Half-Marathon (13.1 mi) - 1:56:32
Red Carpet Run (5K) - 25:05
Gopher the Gold (10K) - 55:12
Pittsburgh Cure Sarcoma Walk/Run (5K) - 25:15
Volkslaufe (10K) - 55:21
Caledonia Kilt Klassic (5K) - 24:20
RHGYC Trail Run (5K) - 24:28
Kona Run (10K) - 51:22
Fifth Third River Bank Run (10K) - 51:37
MOM 5K Walk/Run (5K) - 24:14
Run with the Cops, not from Them (5K) - 24:32
Passion for Life (5K) - 26:27
Jenny,
ReplyDeleteI know you don't know me but I have been following your journey for a long time now through your Mom. You are an amazing woman! Such an inspiration to many! I know Aaron is very proud of you! May God continue to bless you and give you strength to endure anything that comes your way!
Lynnore Foote (co-worker of your Mom)
You are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing all of the great photos and personal details in this blog. We love you and will continue to pray for you and Ben in your journey.
ReplyDeleteJenny,
ReplyDeleteI first heard about you from Cindy Bayon. She told me about Aaron and about your goal of running 13 races in 2013 to raise money for cancer related charities. What a wonderful goal! I have been praying for you since I heard about you and I am delighted that you have accomplished your goal. And I am delighted that you raised so much for such a worth cause. God is indeed good!
But most importantly, I am inspired by the grace you have displayed in accepting the loss of Aaron. I can't imagine showing the same grace if I was to lose my wife Sandy, but God does give us what we need when we need it, doesn't He. I hope and I will continue to pray that He blesses you and Ben and that you continue to be a faithful witness to His grace, His mercy, His comfort and His love. Have a blessed Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year.
Numbers 6:24-26
Paul Tauschek, Shepherding Elder, Oakland Hills Community Church
This is the first time I"ve heard of GKTW. Thanks for sharing your story. It is very inspiring & encouraging
ReplyDelete