Saturday, June 8, 2013

For the Love of Food!

Anyone who knew Aaron knew his love of food. Eating food, cooking food, talking about food. The man just truly enjoyed food. He would try anything once and he would enjoy eating any and every type of food...as long as it was prepared correctly.
Sometimes a slab of ham hits the spot

It took me 1 year of dating, 9 months of engagement, and 2 years of marriage before i finally figure out the best description of my husband's preferences - particular. Aaron was particular about many things. We had an agreement that I would never buy him a shirt, tie, or hat that he had not specifically picked out himself. Food, however, was the area where I noticed the greatest intensity of being particular. Here are the top 10 Aaron foodisms. If you can think of any others, please share them in the comments section!

1. Pastrami should only be served on rye bread with mustard
2. The best hot dog you could get was a stadium hot dog with "poor man's" mustard (aka. French's mustard)
3. Pizza should only be reheated in the oven, never the microwave
4. If meat was not included in a meal, it cannot be dinner
5. Steak should not be heavily seasoned or well done. "It detracts from the natural flavors of the meat"
6. Popcorn and Coke truly make the movie theater experience
7. Taco Bell should be consumed only with Mt. Dew
8. The absolute best sip of Coke is the first - the day Aaron joyfully gave me his first sip of Coke was the day I knew he truly loved me
9. Potato chips are a side at any meal, especially with pizza
10. Potatoes and corn are vegetables and can therefore be served as sides in the same meal

June 9, 2013 marks 5 months that Aaron has been perfectly enjoying the feast prepared for him in Heaven. As I look through pictures taken over the 7 1/2 years we were together I have found quite a few that involve food! Bon appetit!
The first meal we ever shared. Florence, Italy. May 2005
"No, you may not have these pretzels."
The man loved the onion ring tower at Red Robin
Drinks during one of my many weekends in Traverse City, MI
Enjoying ourselves at a friend's house in Traverse City, MI
Wedding cake!
Our dinner on the first night of our honeymoon
Yes, he asked me to take a picture of him posed like this
We actually drove to the Akron, Ohio Hamburger Festival
I am fairly certain pictures like this were one of the reasons Aaron married me
Hot dog with French's mustard, potato chips, Coke, recliner, and football - the perfect fall Saturday afternoon
Again, fairly certain my ability to eat played a large role in Aaron's love for me
I love chocolate and cake 11/21/07
Doing the kitchen dance while making our first Thanksgiving meal
Food should always be enjoyed! Do you agree, Jenny?


I agree!
Not only did Aaron know what foods went well together, how to cook, and how to eat, he also knew other uses for many food items, such as potatoes

Aaron completely enjoyed himself on our 1st anniversary

As did I!

Grill master at work to celebrate getting my masters degree
Celebrating his MBA
Aaron never met a popcorn he couldn't eat
Aaron wanted to be sure our child would enjoy food so he wasted no time. Picture challenge - can you find Baby Ben?
They were really good at sharing
Sharing Taco Bell
Aaron's love of food was definitely passed on to Ben. I don't think Aaron ate a snack by himself after Ben turned 1!
Ben and Aaron would make a pizza on Saturday nights to give me a break and for Aaron to teach Ben a little of the joy of cooking

Among the many things I miss about my Aaron, I miss his appetite.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget Wisconsin craft beer and cheese curds!

    ReplyDelete