Thursday, June 20, 2013

Upcoming races and reminders

Ben and I head back to Pittsburgh for the first time since our move at the end of January. He is looking forward to seeing many of his friends who he still talks about! I am also looking forward to seeing friends, running in Mt. Washington along the beautiful view, and worshiping in our home church on the date of our wedding anniversary. I expect it to be bursting with joy and completely emotional!

Things are getting busy with the 13 in 2013 race initiative and I wanted to be sure to get a post up about some upcoming races as well as reminders about the June races! There are 6 total races between June and July! We have one more June race on June 29. It is the Caledonia Kilt Klassic (5K) in Caledonia, MI. Second confession: I also chose this race based solely on the name in hopes to see some kilts while running. I'll be collecting money for the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI.  Aaron was treated in their oncology department as an 8 year old boy when they were still Butterworth Hospital. I hope to write a more detailed post about this early next week but realized I had not really mentioned anything about it yet!

July is packed with emotions and families. Each race is in honor of a friend battling cancer or in memory of family and friends. Here is some brief information about each race so you can begin prayerfully considering how you can impact each of these families. I'll have more information on their stories in the coming week!

Amy and her husband, Jerry, and their children, Riley and Ryan

July 4: Volkslaufe (10K) in Frankenmuth, MI in honor of Amy Sain (childhood cancer survivor and currently being treated for gliosarcoma) and the Remi Savioz Glut1 Foundation ("RSG1"). The RSG1 foundation provides support for those, like Amy, who are on the ketogenic diet as an additional avenue to stop tumor growth.


Aaron, Jenny, Ben, and Laura's daughter and our dear friend, Beth
July 13: 3rd Annual Pittsburgh Cure Sarcoma 5K Walk/Run (5K) in Pittsburgh, PA (North Park) in memory of Aaron Moeller (nerve sheath sarcoma) and Laura Campbell (liposarcoma) to raise funds for the Sarcoma Foundation of America.


Alyssa and her husband, Jeff, and their son, Kase
July 20: Gopher the Gold (5K) in Shelby Township, MI in honor of Alyssa Wright (diagnosed with cervical cancer) and her young family. All of the funds raised will go directly to this family to help with the numerous medical bills that accompany cancer.

Please remember, I am still collecting monetary donations for Super Sam and the Rutherford family throughout the month of June! Thank you for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment