My 5th race and 2nd 10K is in the books! This was such a challenging, fun, hilly race! I think it was so fun because I kept thinking about
Super Sam and being able to do poses like this one:
 |
| Remember, I'll be collecting donations for Super Sam throughout the month of June! |
The Kona Race boasts the "Kona Hill," which runners have the pleasure of meeting within the first 3/4 of a mile into the race. Unfortunately for me, I thought this was the only hill of the race, which it definitely was not. The start of the race was held at Northville Downs, an old horse racing track. Seriously, how many times do you get to run on a horse track!?
 |
| This was such a cool start! |
I was very grateful for the guy in the picture with me. He warned me about the hilly course (sadly, we had already started so it was too late to change my mind) and helped me pace for another personal record! I had planned to take it easy since I had been having some issues after my long runs and tough work outs. As my watch beeped to let me know I had completed mile 4, I looked down to see that I currently running an 8:05 min/mile pace!
 |
| Ready to Rock and Run! |
My new personal record for a 10K race is 51:22 (8:17 min/mile)!! I also took second in my age group (25-29 year old females). Well, so much for taking it easy!
 |
| Still smiling with only 1/2 mile to go! |
I felt like a celebrity as I crossed the finish line. A guy was sitting there with a computer and microphone and his sole purpose was so call out the name of every single runner who crossed the finish line! It was so cool!
 |
| Super star! Check out that form! |
After many races, they have awards and events and vendors giving away things. One of the vendors is usually a chiropractor or massage or physical therapy place offering free massages after your run. I made a bee-line to what I believed to be a massage table. Not true! This guy made me work. I kept trying to tell him I actually ran the race...
 |
| Not fun, especially after 6.2 miles |
My little man decided to sleep in that morning so he wasn't able to see me finish but he did come to see all the festivities and show his support for Super Sam!
 |
| Thumbs up for Super Sam! |
Ben was such a ham! He kept getting compliments on his Super Sam hat and his shirt and cape (yes, there is a cape that is attached to the back). He found a great place to stand - right in the center of the tables with the race results! He kept congratulating and saying hi to all the runners, waving his flag and Ben Bunny. It was adorable!
 |
| "Great job running! Shwoppy!" |
Another little fan came to the race - Gracie Girl! She had a ball watching Ben run around. Ben and Grace are BFFs.
 |
| I am so cute and I know it! |
The Kona Race website advertised the Pollenisian community of Northville, which I did not know was so prevalent. People really got dressed up for the event in grass skirts, leas, and I even saw a coconut bra!
 |
| Yes, they ran in these skirts. Why didn't I think of that!? |
The after-race was even more fun that the actual race - probably because I wasn't huffing it up a hill...again!
 |
| Authentic drummers. The guy in green in the front was totally in to it! |
 |
| Even the kids showed off their musical skills. Ben kept asking to go join them. |
 |
| Hang lose with the "Kona Girls" |
 |
| Traditional hula |
 |
| We also enjoyed the post-race food along with the music! Yay for Asiago cheese bagels! |
All in all, it was a very fun, very successful race day!
 |
| Oh man, are those ladies checking me out!? |
I feel truly blessed! The Lord has blessed me with a body able to run. He has blessed with family and friends who are so encouraging and supportive of my 13 in 2013 racing (though I am pretty sure most of them thought I was crazy...and likely still do!). He has placed families, like the Cooper family, in my life and allowed me to pour in to them as a means of healing the hole left in my heart. He has moved the hearts of many for these families, to pray for them and help them financially. God is so good! Right before I sat down to write this, I opened an envelope containing another check for this family! Praise God! That brings the 13 in 2013 donation total to
$1,275! How is that even possible!? It is possible through the mighty movement of God and His provision for those hurting and in need. Thank you all so very much for the encouragement you have given me, the hope and financial relief you have provided for these families, and the prayer lifted up before our Heavenly Father!
 |
| All praise be to God! |
Thank you Jenny! You are awesome! Thank you for running and supporting our sweet super Sam! Love Ben's outfit!! I look forward to the day Sam and I get to meet you and Ben. Thank you for everything! You're amazing!
ReplyDeleteLeslie Cooper
Leslie, it was truly my honor! Your little guy has been such an inspiration of courage and joy in the face of trial.
Delete