Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Caledonia Kilt Klassic: Post Race

Caledonia Kilt Klassic
And just like that my 13 in 2013 race series is more than half-way completed! Saturday was my 7th run! I ran in memory of Aaron and in honor of the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, which is where Aaron was treated for his pediatric cancer in 1991. I was blessed to have an entourage of family and friends to cheer me through the race!
Aaron's parents
My coach was sure to be in attendance!
These amazing ladies from Aaron's church in Traverse City were in town for a wedding and joined me for the race!
Aaron's Uncle Tom and Aunt Carol (13 in 2013 photographer of the race!) came, too!



I admit it! I signed up for this race for 2 reasons. 1. It was taking place in Caledonia and I wanted to run a race near Grand Rapids to run for the Children's Hospital. 2. It is called "Kilt Klassic" and you better believe I was hoping for some kilts!!! Hooray! Not only did I find kilts, there were bagpipes too! The bagpiper to my left is a mutual friend through Aaron and his best friend, Matt!
Mission accomplished!

It was pretty amazing to begin and finish the race to the sound of bagpipes (yeah, I know I'm weird).
Nothing like bagpipes to get you moving!

This race was an interesting one. I wasn't sure how I was going to do since I had not run since the last race. I have been having some concerning symptoms a few hours after the race and challenging workouts so I thought a break would be best. My goal was to just finish. Well, I certainly finished! My first 1/2 mile was a 6:55 min/mile pace! Yikes! My finish time was 24:20 (7:50 min/mile pace), which is my second fastest 5K finish! I really had planned on taking it easy...really!
Run, Jen-nay, Run!



During my post-race cool down and stretching, I was attacked! This super adorable, giggly, smiling boy took my advantage of my weakened state and my position on the ground to tackle me! My coach is the best!
I have the best job in the world!

Things have been a little crazy at our house with 3 races in the past month and preparing for the Pittsburgh Cure Sarcoma 5K in July, which is my "big race." Unfortunately, I don't have a total for the race series yet but will be working on it during what is left of nap time! I'll update this post as soon as I have a total!
Total heartbreaker!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pic of you and Kyle in his kilt!
    Sue Helmus

    ReplyDelete